- n a military training exercise
- n a plan for attaining a particular goal
- n a deliberate coordinated movement requiring dexterity and skill
he made a great maneuver
- n a move made to gain a tactical end
- n an action aimed at evading an opponent
- v direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
- v act in order to achieve a certain goal
He maneuvered to get the chairmanship
She maneuvered herself into the directorship
- v perform a movement in military or naval tactics in order to secure an advantage in attack or defense
- The maneuver gained him a head start on the rush of students down the center aisle.
- I will never forget a visit to Krefeld where we tried to outwit an angry mob of protesters with a decoy motorcadea maneuver which met with a spectacular lack of success.
- In 2002 the Marines abandoned the requirement that the planes be capable of autorotating (as the maneuver is called), with unpowered but spinning helicopter blades slowly letting .
News & Articles
- Army's Piñon Canyon development may be put to rest
The possibility that the Army will expand into the prairie lands of Piñon Canyon may be put to rest forever. The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a measure that requires an act of Congress for the Army to take over the Piñon Canyon Maneuver Site.
June 18, 2013 - Denver Post
- Engineer regiment welcomes new officer
Command Sgt. Maj. Butler Kendrick Jr. became the U.S. Army Engineer School's 17th regimental command sergeant major Thursday during a change-of-responsibility ceremony held on the Maneuver Support Center of Excellence (MSCoE) Plaza at Fort Leonard Wood.
June 18, 2013 - Rolla Daily News
- Alcohol, speed suspected factors in fatal crash Saturday
The driver in a double-fatality accident Saturday in Joplin is suspected of having been intoxicated and speeding at almost twice the posted limit. He may also have been attempting a trick-driving maneuver, according to a probable-cause affidavit.
June 17, 2013 - The Joplin Globe
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in New York Daily News
Part of the reason we were in the C-17 is because part of it is armored,Clinton said. "I was moved up into the cockpit. Everyone else was told to sit on their bullet proof vests. We came in in an evasive maneuver. Those of you who have...
- Barack Obama in BusinessWeek
This maneuver threatens to leave taxpayers, rather than the oil companies, on the hook for future disasters like the BP oil spill,Obama said in a statement. "I urge the Senate Republicans to stop playing special interest politics and join...
- Oscar Tabarez in The Associated Press
We are convinced that we can win the World Cup,coach Oscar Tabarez said. "We don't have a lot of room to maneuver. We have to play very well each time. Winning this victory over the home team, the national squad, with all the fans behind...