- n an adult person who is male (as opposed to a woman)
- n someone who serves in the armed forces; a member of a military force
- n the generic use of the word to refer to any human being
it was every man for himself
- n any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage
- n a male subordinate
he awaited word from his man in Havana
- n an adult male person who has a manly character (virile and courageous competent)
the army will make a man of you
- n a manservant who acts as a personal attendant to his employer
Jeeves was Bertie Wooster's man
- n a male person who plays a significant role (husband or lover or boyfriend) in the life of a particular woman
she takes good care of her man
- n one of the British Isles in the Irish Sea
- n game equipment consisting of an object used in playing certain board games
- n all of the living human inhabitants of the earth
she always used `humankind' because `mankind' seemed to slight the women
- v take charge of a certain job; occupy a certain work place
Mr. Smith manned the reception desk in the morning
- v provide with workers
We cannot man all the desks
Students were manning the booths
- One answer, of course, is yes -- by another man.
- The family of primates called man reached human status in Asia, Africa, or Europe (possibly in all three), came relatively late to North America.
- A PTI cover story on the first steps of man.
News & Articles
- Man in fatal SF minivan wreck IDd
Man in fatal SF minivan wreck IDd San Francisco authorities on Wednesday identified a man who died after crashing his minivan into a tree in McLaren Park. Roderick McDonald, 39, of San Francisco, was heading east on John F. Shelley Drive around 5:30 p.m. Monday when he slammed his Mazda MPV3 into a tree near Mansell Street, police said. McDonald was later pronounced dead at San Francisco General ...
June 13, 2013 - San Francisco Chronicle
- Man shot by cops in Southie
A man in his 50s was shot by police tonight in South Boston, police said. Boston officers and state troopers both responded to a call at 8th and Old Harbor streets at 9:10 p.m., Boston police said. Police are investigating whether officers from one or both agencies discharged their weapons, Boston police said. No other details on the incident were released. It was unclear whether the man was ...
June 13, 2013 - Boston Herald
- Man shot in west Jackson
A man is being treated at the University of Mississippi Medical Center after being shot in both of his legs Wednesday afternoon.
June 13, 2013 - WLBT 3 Jackson
- Barack Obama in Herald Sun
But war is bigger than any one man,Mr Obama said, adding that the change was necessary to maintain a "unity of effort" in Afghanistan. "I welcome debate among my team, but I won't tolerate division."
- Mitch McConnell in RTT News
He added, "The fact that this Administration won't allow the man charged with implementing the President's plan to cut $500 billion out of Medicare to testify about his plans for the care of our nation's seniors is truly outrageous."
- Oscar Tabarez in The Age
From the first minute Forlan had a problem. He was injured and could not continue,Tabarez said of the Athletico Madrid striker. "He had a pain and during the match we took a decision to try another man who was fresh. It was nothing really...