legalism : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n strict conformity to the letter of the law rather than its spirit
- This pained legalism betrayed the limits of his campaign.
- In any case, this is the kind of legalism we hate Clinton for, and it misses what matters.
- This legalism enabled the government to expel Awad without having to substantiate claims that he had broken Israeli law for his role in the uprising.
News & Articles
- Texas State Senator Dan Patrick Compares Himself to Jesus (Audio)
Texas State Senator Dan Patrick (R) recently compared himself to Jesus Christ who scolded the pharisees for placing too much emphasis on “laws and rules." While Jesus was speaking of religious legalism and personal hypocrisy, Patrick was talking about violating the rules that govern the Texas State legislature in order to pass SB 5, a bill that would not allow abortion after 20 weeks, even in ...
July 1, 2013 - Opposing Views
- Michael Mukasey in FOXNews
Mukasey said the government's arguments were "permeated with the pinched legalism one usually encounters from non-lawyers." "Those to whom images of catastrophe come that easily might take comfort in recalling that it is a year and a half...
- Tony Abbott in Crikey
I think [Catholicism] gets translated into dry legalism and that's a pity,Abbott said. "Don't assume that I don't know gay people and don't assume that there is this caricature in my mind that is entirely represented by the floats at the...
- Michael McHugh in Sydney Morning Herald
McHugh says the Gleeson court has "all but rejected legalism and the adoption of a law-making role by a number of justices on the Mason, and to a lesser extent, the Brennan courts".