- n ice crystals forming a white deposit (especially on objects outside)
- s showing characteristics of age, especially having grey or white hair
whose beard with age is hoar"-Coleridge
nodded his hoary head
- There was a heavy dew next morning and "upon the face of the wilderness there lay a small round thing, as small as the hoar frost on the ground.
- Do not let his hoar head go peacefully down to the grave.
- He might have shown a preference in the naming of his earldom for some title as hoar in honor as the first half of that possessed by nouveau Lord Oxford and Asquith.