- n a headscarf worn by Muslim women; conceals the hair and neck and usually has a face veil that covers the face
- n the custom in some Islamic societies of women dressing modestly outside the home
she observes the hijab and does not wear tight clothing
- Wearing the hijab in schools is against the law in certain German states, and similar bans are on the books in some parts of Belgium.
- His concern was not the hijab the Muslim woman's head covering so much as a woman's right to wear it if she so chose.
- For many, the hijab represents modesty, piety and devotion to God, and I truly respect that.
News & Articles
- Muslim Fashion House Haute Hijab Launches S/S 2013 Clothing Line
CHICAGO, June 19, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- The Muslim fashion house Haute Hijab launched their Spring/Summer 2013 collection today, Tuesday, June 18, 2013. The line can be viewed on their online store, ...
June 19, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- At Guantanamo, Red Cross Defends Keeping Detainee Records Confidential
Defense attorney Cheryl Bormann, seen in this sketch from May 5, 2012, wears the Muslim hijab when the defendants are in the courtroom. Sketch by Janet Hamlin/AFP/Getty Images. The pre-trial hearing on the five suspected 9/11 plotters continued Tuesday at the U.S. base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba -- without the accused present. The day focused on why the International Red Cross opposes requests to ...
June 18, 2013 - The Online NewsHour
- Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati in AFP
Nobody has the right to prevent the police from acting against bad hijab (veil),Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati said in a sermon at the Muslim weekly prayers in Tehran.
- Zaki Badawi in guardian.co.uk
In his fatwa, or religious ruling, Professor Badawi wrote: "In the present tense situation, with the rise of attacks on Muslims, we advise Muslim women who fear being attacked physically or verbally to remove their hijab so as not to be identified...
- Shahina Siddiqui in Guardian Unlimited
To say it was about her not wearing the hijab, I think that's an oversimplification. All we've heard is from her peers saying that,Siddiqui said. "Many of us who have teenagers or had teenagers know this is a very difficult time. Their...