- v decorate with, or as if with, gold leaf or liquid gold
- s having the deep slightly brownish color of gold
- s based on pretense; deceptively pleasing
the gilded and perfumed but inwardly rotten nobility
- s rich and superior in quality
gilded dining rooms
- s made from or covered with gold
- The three types of gilded metal stands, six in bronze and two in silver, feature the classical female figures known as the Three Graces, the Greek goddesses who presided over .
- Aisin-Gioro Pu Yi, the 10th ruler of the Manchu Dynasty, was born to the gilded splendor of the Forbidden City and ascended to the throne in 1908.
- In the intervening 112 years, the coveted awards have been rectangular, ridged, doughnut-like, gilded and--for the 1972 Sapporo Winter Games--shaped like an amorphous blob.
News & Articles
- LATEST NEWS
The 13-foot-tall sculpture called Diana features the goddess poised to shoot an arrow. Once brightly gilded, it has since faded to gray-green. Artist Augustus Saint-Gaudens created the work in the 1890s.
June 21, 2013 - Greenwich Time
- The Driehaus Museum Announces Summer Schedule with New and Popular Tour Experiences
CHICAGO, June 20, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- This summer, the Driehaus Museum is offering a variety of ways to experience its interiors, collection, Gilded Age history, and the surrounding neighborhood.Acoustiguide Audio Tour – Guests may soon choose a new, private experience of highlights from the Driehaus Collection of Fine and Decorative Arts. The digital, random-access audio guide ...
June 20, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! News
- On the Racked: Golden Dinos at Louis Vuitton; Nordstrom Rack For DoBro
And now, the latest from Racked NY, shopping and retail from the sidewalks up... 1) Midtown: The Louis Vuitton store on 57th Street has gone prehistoric with its latest window display, which features gold-gilded dinosaurs among the mannequins. 2) Downtown...
June 18, 2013 - Curbed New York
- Barack Obama in FOXNews
This administration has accelerated these trends through its tax policies and spending priorities to the point where there is greater income inequality now than at any time since the Gilded Age,Obama said.
- Bill Clinton in New York Times
Now, I'm not sure that'sa fair characterization of the 1992 Clinton campaign, which had a strong streak of populism, beginning with a speech in which Mr. Clinton described the 1980s as a "gilded age of greed."
- Zahi Hawass in Al-Ahram Weekly
Despite these mummies being footless they are very well preserved and wearing gilded masks,says Zahi Hawass, secretary-general of the SCA .The eastern side of the necropolis, the site of Graeco-Roman burials, contained three more mummies,...