- n coins made of gold
- n a deep yellow color
he admired the gold of her hair
- n a soft yellow malleable ductile (trivalent and univalent) metallic element; occurs mainly as nuggets in rocks and alluvial deposits; does not react with most chemicals but is attacked by chlorine and aqua regia
- n great wealth
Whilst that for which all virtue now is sold, and almost every vice--almighty gold"--Ben Jonson
- n something likened to the metal in brightness or preciousness or superiority etc.
the child was as good as gold
she has a heart of gold
- s made from or covered with gold
the gold dome of the Capitol
the golden calf
- s having the deep slightly brownish color of gold
long aureate (or golden) hair
a gold carpet
- In much of the world, gold bars and coins are still hoarded as a favored form of wealththe kind that printing presses can never turn out.
- In the world's money marts last week, all the talk, the worry and the news was about gold.
- In the hazy days of the Chinese empire, centuries before Magellan reached the Orient, the Igorots of Benguet mined gold in the Philippine hills.
News & Articles
- Gold ETFs Could Shine As Quantitative Easing Flows
Gold exchange traded funds have been unloved for most of the year as investors ease into riskier assets . However, some still believe that the fundamentals are in the yellow metal’s favor, pointing to ...
June 12, 2013 - ETF Trends via Yahoo! Finance
- Gold Update: Gold Prices Push to Daily High on Short Covering, Bullish Outside Markets
Gold Update: Gold Prices Push to Daily High on Short Covering, Bullish Outside Markets
June 12, 2013 - Nasdaq
- Gold Rises Slightly as Dollar Slips
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gold prices were gaining slightly on Wednesday as the U.S. dollar weakened against a basket of international currencies. Gold for August delivery at the COMEX division of the CME was gaining $5.70 to $1,382.70 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,386.10 and as low as $1,372.20 an ounce, while the spot price was ticking up $4.38. "It's quiet, and has been all week ...
June 12, 2013 - TheStreet.com
- Helen Mirren in CNN
This is the biggest and best gold star I have ever had in my life,Mirren said while holding her Oscar, purse and an earring that fell off while she was walking to the stage.
- Bode Miller in ABC News
The gold medal is great. I think it's perfect. Ideally, that's what everyone is shooting for. But the way I skied these last races is what matters. I would've been proud of that skiing with a medal or not,Miller said after turning in the...
- Tim Montgomery in AHN
I have had everything I ever wanted in life,Montgomery said, as reported by USATODAY, while leaning his slight but no longer athletic frame against the defense table. "The gold medal, all those people cheering, that was part of another...