effect : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon
the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise
- n an outward appearance
she retained that bold effect in her reproductions of the original painting
- n an impression (especially one that is artificial or contrived)
he just did it for effect
- n the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
- n (of a law) having legal validity
the law is still in effect
- n a symptom caused by an illness or a drug
the effects of sleep loss
the effect of the anesthetic
- v produce
- v act so as to bring into existence
effect a change
- I am not at all concerned about the Bradley effect--the theory that secretly racist white people tell pollsters they'll vote for a black candidate like Barack Obama but will .
- Educational psychologists have long known that attitude can have a pronounced effect on the score.
- While three points might not seem like much, the effect can be enormous.
News & Articles
- Jailing of reporters has "chilling effect" on Turkish media: OSCE
By Fredrik Dahl VIENNA (Reuters) - The imprisonment of journalists is having a "chilling effect" on Turkey's media, which exercised self-censorship during this month's anti-government protests, Europe's main rights and democracy watchdog said. Dunja Mijatovic, representative for media freedom at the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), said 67 journalists were behind bars ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Heat advisory in effect for Myrtle Beach area
A heat advisory is in effect for the Myrtle Beach area Thursday afternoon, according to forecasters with the National Weather Service in Wilmington, N.C.
June 13, 2013 - The Myrtle Beach Sun News
- Flood watch in effect for parts of Central New York
A flood watch is in effect for parts of central New York from Thursday morning to Friday morning.
June 12, 2013 - CNYCentral.com
- Jacques Rogge in South China Morning Post (subscription)
Dr Rogge told the VRT television station from his native Belgium: "If you know China, you know that mounting the barricades and using tough language will have the opposite effect. China will close itself off from the rest of the world, which, don't...
- Barack Obama in ABC News
There's going to be a harmful effect on many local businesses, and it's going to be painful for a lot of folks. Folks are going to be frustrated, and some folks are going to be angry,he said in an address in Theodore, Alabama.
- Ben Bernanke in 940 News
We believe the effect of the troubles in the subprime sector on the broader housing market will be limited and we do not expect significant spillovers from the subprime market to the rest of the economy or to the financial system,Bernanke said.