burden : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an onerous or difficult concern
the burden of responsibility
- n weight to be borne or conveyed
- n the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
- n the central idea that is expanded in a document or discourse
- v weight down with a load
- v impose a task upon, assign a responsibility to
- Mindful of Michigan's unemployment burden, the State Department, working with nongovernment refugee-resettlement agencies, places most of the newcomers in other states, like .
- Their burden keeps getting heavier.
- The government is caught between a crushing debt burden and an enraged electorate.
News & Articles
- Pryor, others focus on blacks’ concerns
Saying that as an Arkansan he felt a “special burden” to address civil-rights issues, Sen. Mark Pryor on Friday held a “debriefing conference call” with Arkansas reporters to discuss interviews he and other Democratic senators gave to black journalists the previous day.
June 15, 2013 - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- In Southampton Town, Complying With Rental Law Carries A Heavy Burden
Southampton Town Board members struggled this week to find ways to ease the burden of state home safety and maintenance codes on homeowners seeking to comply with the town’s rental permit law.
June 14, 2013 - The Southampton Press & The East Hampton Press
- New Research Demonstrates People with Narcolepsy Face Significant Health and Economic Burden and High Rates of ...
WORCESTER, Mass., June 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Comprehensive results from new research, the Burden of Narcolepsy Disease (BOND) study – the largest of its kind – indicate that the sleep disorder narcolepsy has a significant impact on both the people living with the condition and our healthcare system. ...
June 13, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! News
- Nancy Pelosi in USA Today
The burden is on the president to justify any additional resources for a mission,said Pelosi, D-Calif. "Congress is ready to use its constitutional authority of oversight to question what is the justification for this spending, what are...
- Lance Armstrong in AFP
I am happy to announce that after talking with my children, my family and my closest friends, I have decided to return to professional cycling in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden,Armstrong said in a statement, while in an...
- Mitch McConnell in Christian Science Monitor
The alarm bells on our nation's fiscal condition have now become a siren,Senate Republican minority leader Mitch McConnell said. "If anyone has any doubts that this burden on future generations is unsustainable, they're gone."