draughts : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a checkerboard game for two players who each have 12 pieces; the object is to jump over and so capture the opponent's pieces
- n a serving of drink (usually alcoholic) drawn from a keg
- n a large and hurried swallow
- n a current of air (usually coming into a chimney or room or vehicle)
- n the depth of a vessel's keel below the surface (especially when loaded)
- n a dose of liquid medicine
- n the act of moving a load by drawing or pulling
- v make a blueprint of
- Rising sea levels, hordes of refugees, parching draughts: Call it a docu-trauma.
- More important to last week's exhibition was the fact that Jo Mielziner is not only a sound stage designer but also a facile, amusing, often brilliant draughts man.
- More than 3,000 competitors from at least 150 nations will vie for 35 gold medals in chess, bridge, draughts (checkers), Go and xiang qi (a Chinese version of chess).
News & Articles
- Things to do and see, Nov. 1-7
Steven Curtis Chapman at Shandon Baptist Church; Arts & Draughts at Museum of Art; Cedric the Entertainer
Oct. 31, 2013 - The State
- Rick Pitino in InsideTheVille.com (subscription)
With him out we don't have a low-post presence and we had to make shots and it was very difficult for us early on,said Pitino. "We go into these offensive draughts and it hurts us a little bit. We were playing a bad tempo, playing great...
- Peter Garrett in Sydney Morning Herald
The fact is that, for many households, the assessor will identify simple, low-cost actions like changing light globes, sealing draughts and repairing leaking taps,Mr Garrett said.
- David Hockney in Times Online
Europe and Africa face the impacts of climate change such as floods, more frequent windstorms, draughts and water shortage. Africa is region affected by climate change and other environmental damage such as land degradation, deforestation or air... Martin Bursik http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Burs%C3%ADk&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNF5rvQtOLT_f_KfniPVcgrpdxQIqg EU2009.cz http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.eu2009.cz/en/news-and-documents/press-releases/eu-and-africa-meeting-focused-on-climate-change-and-eu-africa-partnership-10168/&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEdFsYEWI7eaGuWCcOrG7-Bn9nxFQ Feb 19, 2009
30244 39009 draughtsman It's probably only in the past year that the computer's got quick enough to keep up with the draughtsman," said Hockney. "It'sa very new medium and it's turned out to be a fantastic medium."