- v adjust for
- v make amends for; pay compensation for
She was compensated for the loss of her arm in the accident
- v make up for shortcomings or a feeling of inferiority by exaggerating good qualities
- v make reparations or amends for
- v do or give something to somebody in return
- v make payment to; compensate
- The Senate all but killed legislation to create a $140 billion fund to compensate victims of asbestos poisoning.
- Do you have an obligation to compensate your pharmacist? If you move to a cheaper apartment, should you compensate your landlord? When you eat at McDonalds, should you .
- It would also compensate the women for the considerable time, burden and inconvenience of harvesting their eggs, a process that can take 56 hours spread out over many weeks.
News & Articles
- Stockton Retiree Group Accepts $5 Million Settlement
Stockton, California, the biggest U.S. city to file for bankruptcy, will pay retirees as much as $5.1 million to compensate them for having their health benefits cut when the city sought court protection last year.
June 13, 2013 - Bloomberg
- World Food-Import Bill Seen Below 2011 Record at $1.094 Trillion
The world’s food-import bill is expected to remain stable this year as cheaper sugar and cooking oils compensate for increased costs of dairy, fish and meat, according to the Food & Agriculture Organization.
June 13, 2013 - Bloomberg
- These 6 'Awkward.' GIFs Were Sealed With A Kiss
Jenna Hamilton is bound to break Matty McKibben's heart when he finds out she kissed Collin behind his back (watch the summer finale for a replay of her indiscretion) but this season of "Awkward" has so far offered up plenty of PDA to compensate. From their first day of junior year -- when Jakara greeted [...]
June 13, 2013 - MTV
- Joe Barton in Politics Daily (blog)
...House press secretary Robert Gates issued a statement in response to Barton's remarks, saying that members of both parties should "repudiate" his comments: "Congressman Barton may think that a fund to compensate these Americans is a...
- Barack Obama in Tampabay.com
He called on BP to set aside "whatever resources are required to compensate the workers and business owners who have been harmed as a result of this company's recklessness."
- Robert Gates in FOXNews
I think the key for us is, in those rare occasions when we do make a mistake, when there is an error, to apologize quickly, to compensate the victims quickly and then carry out the investigation,Gates told reporters later at Bagram airfield,...