- n a person who is confined; especially a prisoner of war
- n an animal that is confined
- n a person held in the grip of a strong emotion or passion
- s being in captivity
- s giving or marked by complete attention to
- Without warning, he was driven into the middle of thick bamboo forest and abandoned, a first attempt by Chinese scientists to return captive-bred animals to the wild.
- Josef Fritzl has confessed to holding his daughter captive for 24 years and fathering her seven children.
- He is not captive to his party's liberal interest groups.
News & Articles
- Captive-trio kidnap plea
CLEVELAND — The man accused of holding three women captive in his Cleveland home for a decade pleaded not guilty yesterday to hundreds of charges, including rape and kidnapping. Ariel Castro is charged with kidnapping the three women and keeping them — sometimes restrained in chains — along with a 6-year-old girl he...
June 13, 2013 - New York Post
- Captive Chimps May Soon Get Endangered Species Protections
If a recent proposal is finalized, captive chimpanzees will be given an extra layer of protection – the same afforded to their wild counterparts. As of right now, only wild chimpanzees are considered an “endangered” species. Captive chimps, on the …
June 12, 2013 - WebProNews
- Captive Chimpanzees May Get Endangered Status in US
The federal government has proposed listing captive chimpanzees as endangered, which would increase protections for the animals, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS).
June 11, 2013 - LiveScience.com via Yahoo! News
- Ismail Haniyeh in Toronto Star
As there was an honourable exchange today, we are determined to have an honourable exchange for our own prisoners,held in Israeli jails, Haniyeh said. "There is a captive Israeli soldier, and thousands of our sons are in prison. ...... Let...
- Osama bin Laden in The Washington Independent
The day America makes that decision will be the day it has issued a death sentence for any one of you that is taken captive,bin Laden said in a message broadcast on al-Jazeera.
- Benjamin Netanyahu in Washington Post
Netanyahu told his Cabinet on Sunday that the government was working to free the serviceman and urged the international community "to stand by the state of Israel in its unequivocal and just demand that our captive soldier be returned immediately."