answer : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a statement (either spoken or written) that is made to reply to a question or request or criticism or accusation
I waited several days for his answer
- n a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem
the answers were in the back of the book
- n the speech act of replying to a question
- n the principal pleading by the defendant in response to plaintiff's complaint; in criminal law it consists of the defendant's plea of `guilty' or `not guilty' (or nolo contendere); in civil law it must contain denials of all allegations in the plaintiff's complaint that the defendant hopes to controvert and it can contain affirmative defenses or counterclaims
- n a nonverbal reaction
his answer to any problem was to get drunk
their answer was to sue me
- v react verbally
She didn't want to answer
answer the question
We answered that we would accept the invitation
- v respond to a signal
answer the door
answer the telephone
- v give the correct answer or solution to
answer a question
answer the riddle
- v understand the meaning of
The question concerning the meaning of life cannot be answered
- v give a defence or refutation of (a charge) or in (an argument)
The defendant answered to all the charges of the prosecution
- v be liable or accountable
She must answer for her actions
- v be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
A few words would answer
- v match or correspond
The drawing of the suspect answers to the description the victim gave
- v be satisfactory for; meet the requirements of or serve the purpose of
This may answer her needs
- v react to a stimulus or command
The steering of my new car answers to the slightest touch
- The answer was clear, unequivocal and a great relief to restless Republicans who had endured a week of indigestion on the issue.
- The Knowledge Generation Bureau claims it can answer any question you send in a text message.
- When not given an answer he persisted and then became quiet for about 10 minutes and then began again to engage in some conversation.
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in BusinessWeek
This announcement is as convincing an answer to the efforts undertaken in Iran in the past few days as any we could provide,Clinton told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in Washington when asked to react to a deal with Iran brokered by...
- David Petraeus in KITV Honolulu
In answer, we must demonstrate to the people and to the Taliban that Afghan and international forces are here to safeguard the Afghan people, and that we are in this to win,Petraeus said on the Fourth of July, US Independence Day.
- President Bush in Bloomberg
The answer is not to try to reinvent that system,Bush said. "It is to fix the problems we face, make the reforms we need, and move forward with the free market system."