- n (sports) a stroke that puts the ball in play
his powerful serves won the game
- v serve a purpose, role, or function
The tree stump serves as a table
The female students served as a control group
This table would serve very well
His freedom served him well
- v do duty or hold offices; serve in a specific function
He served as head of the department for three years
She served in Congress for two terms
- v contribute or conduce to
The scandal served to increase his popularity
- v be used by; as of a utility
The sewage plant served the neighboring communities
The garage served to shelter his horses
- v help to some food; help with food or drink
I served him three times, and after that he helped himself
- v provide (usually but not necessarily food)
We serve meals for the homeless
The entertainers served up a lively show
- v devote (part of) one's life or efforts to, as of countries, institutions, or ideas
She served the art of music
He served the church
serve the country
- v promote, benefit, or be useful or beneficial to
Art serves commerce
Their interests are served
The lake serves recreation
The President's wisdom has served the country well
- v spend time in prison or in a labor camp
- v work for or be a servant to
May I serve you?
The minister served the King for many years
- v deliver a warrant or summons to someone
- v be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
Nothing else will serve
- v do military service
She served in Vietnam
My sons never served, because they are short-sighted
- v mate with
male animals serve the females for breeding purposes
- v put the ball into play
It was Agassi's turn to serve
- Imagine the enormous difference it would make to our communities and nation if every American served for a year with a community-service group, nonprofit enterprise or faith-based .
- German Olympian Dimitrij Ovtcharov's serve isn't about power.
- This legislation will help connect people at all stages of life with opportunities to serve.
News & Articles
- Candidates sought to serve on commission
Community Action Partnership of Riverside County is seeking candidates to serve on the Community Action Commission. The Commissioners will be elected at Community Forums to be held in all five Supervisorial Districts.
June 15, 2013 - The Record Gazette
- Thousands Of Volunteers Participate In 20th Annual Chicago Cares Serve-A-Thon
The spirit of volunteerism is alive and well in Chicago today...as people spruce up schools, parks and playgrounds for the 20th annual Chicago Cares Serve-a-Thon, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.
June 15, 2013 - CBS Chicago
- Serve NCH yard sale
North College Hill nonprofit organization Serve NCH is having a yard sale from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 22, at 6950 La Boiteaux Ave.
June 13, 2013 - The Cincinnati Enquirer
- Dan Gilbert in Wall Street Journal
He added, "But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called 'curse' on Cleveland, Ohio."
- Barack Obama in BBC News
Now this legislation moves to the Senate, and I look forward to receiving a final product that will serve as a strong signal to the executives who run these firms that such compensation will not be tolerated,Mr Obama said.
- David Johnston in Edmonton Journal
My wife and I have always believed that service, whether it is to family, community, university or country, is our highest calling,Johnston said in a speech Thursday. "We are proud to have this opportunity to serve Canada and our fellow...