stress stress /ˈstrɛs/
- (n) the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch)
- (n) (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense
- (n) special emphasis attached to something
- (n) difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension
- (n) (physics) force that produces strain on a physical body
- (v) to stress, single out as important
- (v) put stress on; utter with an accent
- (v) test the limits of
- And researchers have long suspected that stress harms the body.
- Here's a chance to help scientists uncover the roots of stress.
- The Treasury Department will finally be releasing the already endlessly leaked, contemplated and criticized stress tests in a few hours.
- There is growing evidence that a gene variant that reduces the plasticity of the nervous system also modulates responses to treatments for mood and anxiety disorders. In this case, patients with posttraumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, with a less functional variant of the gene coding for brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), responded less well to exposure therapy.on June 11, 2013 Source: Science Daily
- Title: Pent-Up Stress Could Harm Health of Middle-Aged Women Category: Health News Created: 6/7/2013 4:36:00 PM Last Editorial Review: 6/10/2013 12:00:00 AMon June 11, 2013 Source: MedicineNet.com
- We hear a lot about the downsides of stress. Too much of it can impair thinking, harm our health and, more prosaically, put us in a bad mood.on June 10, 2013 Source: Business Insider
- "I very deeply regret the situation and the embarrassment caused," Ferguson said in a statement. "It is true that my financial situation is under stress. However, that is no excuse for a serious lapse in judgment and I am very sorry that this...on May 25, 2010 By: Sarah Ferguson Source: Vancouver Sun
- "Despite the efforts of the Federal Reserve, the Treasury, and other agencies, global financial markets remain under extraordinary stress," Bernanke said in remarks prepared for delivery to the Senate Banking Committee that were obtained by Reuters.on Sep 23, 2008 By: Ben Bernanke Source: Reuters
- "I'm very disappointed in myself for the poor judgment I exhibited recently, and I'm deeply sorry for the disappointment and stress this has caused my family, friends and coworkers on 24 and at 20th Century Fox," Mr. Sutherland said in a...on Oct 10, 2007 By: Kiefer Sutherland Source: National Post