- n a unit of language that native speakers can identify
words are the blocks from which sentences are made
he hardly said ten words all morning
- n a brief statement
he didn't say a word about it
- n information about recent and important events
- n a verbal command for action
when I give the word, charge!
- n an exchange of views on some topic
we had a word or two about it
- n a promise
he gave his word
- n a word is a string of bits stored in computer memory
large computers use words up to 64 bits long
- n the divine word of God; the second person in the Trinity (incarnate in Jesus)
- n a secret word or phrase known only to a restricted group
he forgot the password
- n the sacred writings of the Christian religions
- v put into words or an expression
- But the six-word meme is spreading.
- Seems the F word was too powerful, even for them.
- Under the word method, if a child comes up against a new word, all he can do is guessnot at its pronunciation, but at its "looks.
- Barack Obama in Mirror.co.uk
Mr Obama said: "The sheer improbability of this victory is part of what makes D-Day so memorable. Long after our time on this Earth has passed, one word will still bring forth the pride and awe of men and women who will never meet the heroes who sit...
- Elizabeth Taylor in AFP
I cannot be part of the public hoopla. And I cannot guarantee that I would be coherent to say a word,Taylor wrote in her "tweet."
- Bob Dylan in New York Times
I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate, John Edwards, but it turns out that you have to go into rehab if you use the word 'faggot,' so I'm - so, kind of at an impasse, can't really talk about Edwards, so I... Ann Coulter http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Coulter&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHB9exftsoBrlfrXGFSOIzXhKUw_Q CNN International http://www.google.com/url?q=http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/04/coulter.edwards/&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFgP3nZAuO41AmGA9I_uB2hQcy36g Mar 3, 2007
111025 145770 wordiness Mr. Was, who has produced albums for Bob Dylan, Randy Newman and Bonnie Raitt, said that Mr. Snider is so good and direct with language that you don't get hung up in wordiness. And because he's so entertaining, you don't necessarily notice how deep...