- v bring to a desired consistency, texture, or hardness by a process of gradually heating and cooling
- v harden by reheating and cooling in oil
- v adjust the pitch (of pianos)
- v make more temperate, acceptable, or suitable by adding something else; moderate
she tempered her criticism
- v restrain
- a made hard or flexible or resilient especially by heat treatment
a sword of tempered steel
- a adjusted or attuned by adding a counterbalancing element
criticism tempered with kindly sympathy
- Less irascible and blunt than his hard-driving predecessor Zhu Rongji, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao has earned the reputation of being a modest, even-tempered and practical person .
- Soldiers, friends, diplomats and politicians all extol his reasoned thinking and tempered judgment.
- Reputedly stern, the Karmapa, who spent half an hour with PTI, was both remarkably well-tempered and focused for a man who had just come off a 14-hour flight by far his .
News & Articles
- Pets of the Week
Cassie is a sweet, mellow, 11½-year-old old, spayed golden retriever who is even-tempered and fine with everything -- dogs, cats and kids. She likes the attention and is unfazed by rambunctious energy. She is housebroken, knows several commands and is very well-behaved.
June 18, 2013 - Lamorinda Sun
- Pianist Gives Remarkable Performance in Concert at Columbia Museum of Art
Tweet This is a review of a concert by pianist Sergei Babayan at the Columbia Art Museum on Thursday, June 13. The literature was Ballade No. 2 in B minor, S.171 by Franz Liszt; Fantasia in C minor, Op. 21 by Vladimir Ryabov; Andante, Op. 19 and Melodia Op. 21, No. 9 by Sergei Rachmaninoff, arranged by Arkady Volodos; and 18 pieces from Johann Sebastian Bach’s The Well-Tempered Clavichord and ...
June 18, 2013 - Free Times
- PopWatch Planner: Cher on ‘The Voice,’ ‘Monsters University,’ ‘World War Z,’ and more
Man of Steel opening weekend has come and gone. Was it everything you’re tempered expectations had hoped it would be?
June 17, 2013 - Entertainment Weekly
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Globe and Mail
If Christ were on Earth today, undoubtedly he would stand with the people in opposition to bullying, ill-tempered and expansionist powers,Mr. Ahmadinejad said.
- John F Kennedy in Carolina Peacemaker
John F. Kennedy said in his inaugural address on January 20, 1961: "Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans, born in this century, tempered by war,...
- Booker Edgerson in ESPN
Lou Saban was a great teacher,Edgerson said. "He knew how to build football programs. He could have built any program -- football, baseball, basketball, whatever. Even though his patience was short-tempered, he allowed players to let out...