- n (sports) the act of swinging or striking at a ball with a club or racket or bat or cue or hand
it took two strokes to get out of the bunker
- n the maximum movement available to a pivoted or reciprocating piece by a cam
- n a sudden loss of consciousness resulting when the rupture or occlusion of a blood vessel leads to oxygen lack in the brain
- n a light touch
- n a light touch with the hands
- n (golf) the unit of scoring in golf is the act of hitting the ball with a club
Nicklaus won by three strokes
- n the oarsman nearest the stern of the shell who sets the pace for the rest of the crew
- n anything that happens suddenly or by chance without an apparent cause
the pregnancy was a stroke of bad luck
- n a punctuation mark (/) used to separate related items of information
- n a mark made on a surface by a pen, pencil, or paintbrush
she applied the paint in careful strokes
- n any one of the repeated movements of the limbs and body used for locomotion in swimming or rowing
- n a single complete movement
- v touch lightly and repeatedly, as with brushing motions
He stroked his long beard
- v strike a ball with a smooth blow
- v row at a particular rate
- v treat gingerly or carefully
You have to stroke the boss
- Excessive daytime drowsiness in older adults may predict a significantly increased risk of stroke, said researchers reporting data on Thursday at the International Stroke .
- Such prolonged hypertension is a known risk factor for both heart disease and stroke.
- A new study suggests that excessive daytime drowsiness may foretell a risk for stroke and other vascular disorders.
- Paul Goydos in iseekgolf.com
That's the most nervous I've been over a putt, probably,he said after his round. "It felt like when I brought the putter back and made a pretty good stroke, couldn't hit the putt any more solid and the ball couldn't have gone more in the...
- Michael Phelps in Reuters
I was starting to hurt for the last 10 meters, it was my last individual race and I just wanted to finish as strong as I could,Phelps said. "I actually thought when I did take that half stroke I thought I had lost the race right there, but...
- David Banner in Ninemsn
If by some stroke of the pen hip-hop was silenced, the issues would still be present in our communities,rapper and record producer David Banner, whose real name is Levell Crump, said in a prepared statements to a House Energy and Commerce...