diagonal : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (geometry) a straight line connecting any two vertices of a polygon that are not adjacent
- n a line or cut across a fabric that is not at right angles to a side of the fabric
- n an oblique line of squares of the same color on a checkerboard
the bishop moves on the diagonals
- n (mathematics) a set of entries in a square matrix running diagonally either from the upper left to lower right entry or running from the upper right to lower left entry
- n a punctuation mark (/) used to separate related items of information
- s connecting two nonadjacent corners of a plane figure or any two corners of a solid that are not in the same face
a diagonal line across the page
- s having an oblique or slanted direction
- Outside, a squared archway in a freestanding diagonal wall creates a proscenium that turns earth and sky into a kind of cosmic theater.
- Dark clouds hurtle across the sky; diagonal strips of shadow fall like knife scars on every face; steam rises from the streets and rolls off the most innocuous front porch.
- Shanties that look as if they were about to implode perch uneasily on streets set at a San Francisco diagonal.
News & Articles
- Diagonal work drags on, but CDOT says Niwot intersection will be done this week
Brad Nupp, left, and Jesus Najera, of Interface Communications Co., work set a future utility pole on Friday at the intersection of Jay Road and the Diagonal Highway in Boulder County.
June 17, 2013 - Colorado Daily
- This Just In...6-14-13
When you walk down Main Street in Hyannis Sunday, June 16, don’t get the wrong impression. The town hasn’t suddenly allowed diagonal parking to answer the demand.
June 14, 2013 - The Barnstable Patriot
- Police Investigate Two Shootings In Southeast OKC
The first shooting was reported at the Wentwood at Grand Hill apartments located at 403 Tinker Diagonal Street around 2 p.m. Thursday.
June 13, 2013 - KWTV News9
- Philippe Starck in Washington Post
The Kindle almost achieves that, "but the designer wasn't quite humble enough to completely disappear, so he made a little slope here, a diagonal there," Starck said. "It's a little sad because the concept is modern, but the design is less...
- Steve Spurrier in TheBigSpur.com (registration)
I just made a diagonal run on the right and Taylor played a great ball, and the centering pass I think might have taken a little deflection but it ended up right in front of him, and Taylor just gets in front of the goal all the time and it was a... Steve Ralston http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Ralston&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHJ6nHML4hAYoa7h3mb0j_H0gIqzA Seattle Post Intelligencer http://www.google.com/url?q=http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp%3FarticleID%3D240150&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNG8_RXP_0QSTiARR6z6ut8SeS7Wmg Sep 15, 2008
27357 36124 diagonal That was one of our best plays all year," Spurrier said. "That was Stephen's best throw right there. (Alshon) was not that open. He hit him on a dead run cutting across the middle on a little diagonal. That was a play we put in this week and...