- n work done by one person or group that benefits another
budget separately for goods and services
- n an act of help or assistance
he did them a service
- n the act of public worship following prescribed rules
the Sunday service
- n a company or agency that performs a public service; subject to government regulation
- n employment in or work for another
he retired after 30 years of service
- n a force that is a branch of the armed forces
- n Canadian writer (born in England) who wrote about life in the Yukon Territory (1874-1958)
- n a means of serving
- n tableware consisting of a complete set of articles (silver or dishware) for use at table
- n the act of mating by male animals
- n (law) the acts performed by an English feudal tenant for the benefit of his lord which formed the consideration for the property granted to him
- n (sports) a stroke that puts the ball in play
- n the act of delivering a writ or summons upon someone
he accepted service of the subpoena
- n periodic maintenance on a car or machine
- n the performance of duties by a waiter or servant
that restaurant has excellent service
- v be used by; as of a utility
- v make fit for use
service my truck
the washing machine needs to be serviced
- v mate with
- Michael Kinsley thinks PTI editor Rick Stengel's call for compulsory national service is nave.
- Elaine Thompson AP Now Barack Obama is reprising the call to service.
- Imagine the enormous difference it would make to our communities and nation if every American served for a year with a community-service group, nonprofit enterprise or faith-based .
- Barack Obama in Los Angeles Times (blog)
It saddens me to lose the service of a soldier I have come to admire,Obama said, praising McChrystal. "This is a change in personnel, but not in policy."
- President Bush in New Zealand Herald
President Ford was a great American who gave many years of dedicated service to our country,President George W. Bush said in a statement from Crawford, Texas. "With his quiet integrity, common sense, and kind instincts, President Ford...
- David Johnston in Edmonton Journal
My wife and I have always believed that service, whether it is to family, community, university or country, is our highest calling,Johnston said in a speech Thursday. "We are proud to have this opportunity to serve Canada and our fellow...