- n the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
offered his help in unloading
- n a person who contributes to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
they hired additional help to finish the work
- n a resource
- n a means of serving
there's no help for it
- v give help or assistance; be of service
Everyone helped out during the earthquake
Can you help me carry this table?
She never helps around the house
- v improve the condition of
These pills will help the patient
- v be of use
This will help to prevent accidents
- v abstain from doing; always used with a negative
I can't help myself--I have to smoke
She could not help watching the sad spectacle
- v help to some food; help with food or drink
I served him three times, and after that he helped himself
- v contribute to the furtherance of
This money will help the development of literacy in developing countries
- v take or use
She helped herself to some of the office supplies
- v improve; change for the better
New slipcovers will help the old living room furniture
- If you really want to help, sit down, take a couple of minutes to think about what the person might need: Can I drive your kid to practice? Can I pick up your laundry?.
- An innovative center in Florida has helped scores of homeowners avert foreclosure.
- Reading a book may not burn many calories, but the right material may help kids shed pounds.
News & Articles
- Help stop scourge of elder abuse
Help stop scourge of elder abuse On that day, communities in the USA and all over the world will sponsor events to highlight the growing tragic issue of elder abuse. Elder abuse can be physical, emotional, financial and sexual. Elder abuse can be prevented if everyone would learn the warning signs and report it to Adult Protective Services or the police if they suspect it is happening. The ...
June 13, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Help needed for sinkholes
Volunteers are needed to help with erosion control at two sinkholes in the Pigeon River Country State Forest.
June 13, 2013 - Cheboygan Daily Tribune
- HELP WANTED COOK AIDE
HELP WANTED COOK AIDE 25/hr/week (10a-3p, M-F) position to assist the cook in the planning and preparation of meals at the Preschool Learning Academy in York. Contact BVCA Partnership at 402-729-2278 or visit the career center page at www.bvca.net for an application and job description. Deadline for returning applications is June 21, 2013 at 9am. EOE
June 12, 2013 - York News-Times
- David Petraeus in Washington Post
Protecting those we are here to help nonetheless does require killing, capturing, or turning the insurgents. We will not shrink from that; indeed, you have been taking the fight to the enemy and we will continue to do so,he added.
- Barack Obama in FOXNews
Mr. Obama started by saying, "We will fight this spill with everything we've got:we will do whatever's necessary to help the Gulf Coast and its people recover from this tragedy."
- Alistair Darling in Times Online
I want to make it clear that we will do whatever it takes not only to stabilise the system but to help going forward, and that means perhaps some pretty big steps that we wouldn't take in ordinary times,Mr Darling said.