- v tighten one's belt; use resources carefully
- v make a reduction, as in one's workforce
The company had to retrench
- When companies retrench, they say, "What do customers come to us for? What are we good at? Maybe we shouldn't be experimenting around in these other fields.
- That reality is forcing banks to retrench as loans gone bad shrink their capital bases and falling house prices shrink the collateral that homeowners can borrow against.
- The top American, Scott Hamilton, went into battle at Zetra and, feeling that he "wasn't into the ice," decided to retrench, withdrawing two triple jumps from his free-skating .
News & Articles
- Obama Regime Forced to Backtrack Again
By Wednesday of this week, the Regime had thrown the Snowden train into reverse. He is no longer the equivalent of bin Laden or Awlaki. Now he’s just a criminal. This is yet another example of a Regime that tends to speak too loudly and without thought in the interest of political pandering, and which is then forced to retrench afterward. It was really only a matter of time. It wasn’t helping ...
June 28, 2013 - Devils Lake Journal
- Olympia Snowe in Washington Times
There's a presumption that the Federal Reserve's an independent agency, and it is up to a point, but we are a creature of the Congress and if ...... we had said we're running into a bubble and we need to retrench, the Congress would say 'we haven't... Alan Greenspan http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Greenspan&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHpUlXfIcAlgcaviqmNvqZ8oaNTiQ Reuters http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSWAT01427220100407%3Ftype%3DmarketsNews&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFnNH-zeJm3qAQWm8_-GxKEB7HyGQ Apr 7, 2010
83449 110964 retrench In offering an amendment to repeal the provision from the so-called jobs and extenders bill, Maine's Republican Sen. Olympia Snowe said, Indeed, this is a job-killing tax hike that will force entrepreneurs across the nation to retrench and...
- Bill Keller in USA Today
It's painful to watch an industry retrench,Keller said. "But this is a much less painful way to go about assuring our economic survival than cutting staff or closing foreign bureaus or retrenching our investigative reporting or diluting...