- v elude, especially in a baffling way
- v stand up or offer resistance to somebody or something
- v express opposition through action or words
- v withstand the force of something
The trees resisted her
- v resist immunologically the introduction of some foreign tissue or organ
- v refuse to comply
- From the testimony, she emerged as a simple, stoic girl who resigned herself to her early mistreatment, only to become too numbed and weakened by its later savagery to resist.
- Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter do their best to resist (with mixed results) in this parable about McCarthyism, which remains a suspenseful (and still relevant) icon of its era.
- Yet Ciccone is unable or unwilling to resist her magnetism.
News & Articles
- Police officer captures bear on camera in Union County
MARSHVILLE, N.C. -- Officer J.C. Navarro could not resist grabbing his cell phone to capture on camera the much talked about black bear that had been spotted numerous times throughout the state this week. “I just wanted to see him, 'cause we received so many calls the night before too,” he said. Navarro arrived at Old Highway 74 and Helms Efird Road to find the bear roaming close to a house and ...
June 25, 2013 - WCNC Charlotte
- Analysis : Bruised Greek government to limp along, toughen stance with lenders
By Harry Papachristou ATHENS (Reuters) - Greece's weakened coalition government is expected to survive the departure of a junior partner for now but will be forced to resist any fresh demands from its foreign lenders to prevent its tiny parliamentary majority from crumbling. A year after coming to power, Prime Minister Antonis Samaras suffered a heavy blow when his smallest coalition partner ...
June 25, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Mets resist calling up Ike with three lefties on tap
Even with Lucas Duda going on the 15-day disabled list with a left intercostal strain, the Mets resisted any temptation to quickly recall Ike Davis from Triple-A Las Vegas, calling up infielder Zach Lutz instead.
June 23, 2013 - Major League Baseball
- Ben Bernanke in Los Angeles Times
The Fed "will strongly resist an erosion of longer-term inflation expectations, as an unanchoring of those expectations would be destabilizing for growth as well as for inflation," Bernanke said.
- Jeff Sessions in Bloomberg
I don't believe that Judge Sotomayor has the deep-rooted convictions necessary to resist the siren call of judicial activism,Sessions wrote in an opinion piece in USA Today prior to yesterday's committee meeting.
- President Bush in Reuters India
I would hope if many people in the world would come to this place, it would be a sobering reminder that evil exists and a call that when we find evil, we must resist it,Bush said at the memorial. "I guess I came away with this impression,...