dissent : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (law) the difference of one judge's opinion from that of the majority
he expressed his dissent in a contrary opinion
- n a difference of opinion
- n the act of protesting; a public (often organized) manifestation of dissent
- v withhold assent
Several Republicans dissented
- v express opposition through action or words
dissent to the laws of the country
- v be of different opinions
- THE PEOPLE At opposite ends of the American continent last week, dissenters were on the march.
- I dissent most strongly from the attempt to argue that one party represents God and that the other doesn't.
- Clergymen have long been among the leaders of protest against the Viet Nam war, but in recent weeks the clerical dissent has become increasingly bold and bitter.
News & Articles
- Vietnamese police arrest well-known blogger for criticism; minister warns of impact of dissent
HANOI, Vietnam — One of the better known bloggers in Vietnam has been arrested for posting criticism of the communist government, the latest case in an intensified crackdown against dissent in the one-party, authoritarian state.
June 14, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Dissent posted over Okla. ‘rain god’ license plate
<p><div></p> <p>OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A federal appeals court Wednesday republished an order authorizing a challenge to Oklahoma’s “rain god” license plate to add a dissentin...
June 13, 2013 - Durant Daily Democrat
- Wal-Mart's proxy vote shows dissent against execs
Wal-Mart's proxy vote shows dissent against execs Associated Press Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 3:11 pm, Monday, June 10, 2013 NEW YORK (AP) — Wal-Mart's final shareholder vote for its board of directors showed another year of dissent against key executives and directors, including its ...
June 12, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Oliver Bierhoff in Times of India
There is no dissent whatsoever, not even a hint of conflict,he told a news conference at the team's hotel.
- President Bush in Orlando Sentinel
It was a deeply divided court, and I strongly agree with those who dissented,Bush said. "And that dissent was based upon their serious concerns about US national security."
- Barack Obama in Voice of America
To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history, but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist,Mandela said.