balk : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the area on a billiard table behind the balkline
a player with ball in hand must play from the balk
- n something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
- n one of several parallel sloping beams that support a roof
- n an illegal pitching motion while runners are on base
- v refuse to comply
- Balk is current nomenclature of two sports.
- Even if members of the security forces may balk at being ordered to beat up or kill protesting students, the "Hizbollahis," as the militants .
- Forty years later, consumers still balk at the high priceand at losing the ability to take calls in their underwear.
News & Articles
- Bay Ridge balks at Fourth Ave. scheme
Bay Ridge became the latest neighborhood to balk at a city plan to dramatically alter Fourth Ave. by reducing the number of lanes and restricting many left turns.
June 18, 2013 - New York Daily News
- Olean holds off Hornell
OLEAN — Live by the balk, die by the balk?
June 17, 2013 - Olean Times Herald
- Mets balk on call for ‘cougars’ to vote for Wright
Mets balk on call for ‘cougars’ to vote for Wright the Associated Press Published Jun 15, 2013 05:27PM MDT New York • The New York Mets are willing to do most anything to get David Wright elected to the All-Star team. Well, almost anything. The Mets said Thursday they had backed off their latest idea — teaming up with a racy dating website that caters to women looking to meet younger men. The ...
June 15, 2013 - The Salt Lake Tribune
- Joe Maddon in San Jose Mercury News
I thought it was clearly a balk, and obviously you can't argue a balk,Maddon said. "You get kicked out arguing a balk. What I did was even inappropriate."
- Ron Washington in ESPN
If Bob called it a balk, it must have been a balk,Washington said of the two calls.
- Mitt Romney in The Heartland Institute
Some of my libertarian friends balk at what looks like an individual mandate,Romney wrote. "But remember, someone has to pay for the health care that must, by law, be provided: Either the individual pays or the taxpayers pay. A free ride...