- v leave (a job, post, or position) voluntarily
The chairman resigned when he was found to have misappropriated funds
- v give up or retire from a position
The chairman resigned over the financial scandal
- v part with a possession or right
resign a claim to the throne
- v accept as inevitable
He resigned himself to his fate
- The president of Virginia Tech, Charles Steger, should resign.
- Calling on Craig to resign following his arrest for allegedly soliciting sex in an airport bathroom (ABC's "This Week" via AP, Sept.
- I chose to resign instead.
News & Articles
- Principal to resign from D.C. charter school accused of cheating
The principal’s resignation is one of 10 steps Meridian Public Charter School officials will take.
June 21, 2013 - Washington Post
- Lhota set to call for embattled Silver to resign for handling of Vito Lopez grope scandal
GOP mayoral candidate Joe Lhota today will call for embattled Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver to resign for mishandling sex harass claims leveled against Vito Lopez, The Post has learned. Lhota’s bombshell announcement could become a big headache for Democratic mayoral rivals who have stood by Silver. That’s because...
June 21, 2013 - New York Post
- Waxhaw commissioners ask mayor to resign after DWI arrest
WAXHAW, N.C. -- The town of Waxhaw is calling upon its mayor to resign after she was arrested for the second time on DWI charges. The first time was in 2008, and most recently Mayor Daune Gardner was stopped two weeks ago in Waxhaw for driving erratically. "She has become a liability to the town of Waxhaw in my opinion and we can't tolerate it anymore," said Waxhaw Commissioner Joyce Blythe ...
June 20, 2013 - WCNC Charlotte
- President Bush in Earthtimes.org
After months of unfair treatment that has created harmful -- a harmful distraction at the Justice Department, Judge Gonzales decided to resign his position and I accepted his decision,Bush said.
- Charles Grassley in Reuters
Republican Senator Charles Grassley said in a radio interview on Monday he would feel better if AIG's top managers were to "take that deep bow and say 'I'm sorry' and then either do one of two things: resign or go commit suicide."