- v part with a possession or right
I am relinquishing my bedroom to the long-term house guest
- v do without or cease to hold or adhere to
relinquish the old ideas
- v turn away from; give up
- v release, as from one's grip
relinquish your grip on the rope--you won't fall
- Slowly but inexorably the leader relinquished her partisan tendencies in favor of a bipartisan outlook.
- Soon, upon entering meetings, for security reasons, you will be required to relinquish all electronic devices at the door, much as you now remove your shoes whence entering a temple.
- It is not easy for the dictators in the Middle East to relinquish their power.
News & Articles
- HERMAN: Loss of driving privileges difficult to deal with as we become older
Life gets harder as we age. Aging is not for sissies; the golden years often hide behind a veneer of tarnish. One of the most difficult and feared events has to do with car keys. Those of us who have had to relinquish them fully understand the trauma. Growing up in New York City, driving was no issue in my early years nor was it when I arrived at college. Underclassmen and women were forbidden ...
June 12, 2013 - U-T San Diego
- LATEST NEWS
The 75-year-old man who was shot by a Ridgefield police officer last month had been drinking heavily and refused to relinquish the gun he was waiving when he was shot twice in the torso, police said.
June 12, 2013 - Greenwich Time
- Wes Bryan hired to replace Jeffrey Carroll
Wes Bryan, an assistant to Jeffrey Carroll on the Clear Creek boys’ basketball coaching staff this past season, has been named head coach of the Wildcats after Carroll elected to relinquish his post M
June 12, 2013 - The Bay Area Citizen
- Jane Harman in San Francisco Chronicle
President Musharraf must be told to revoke martial law, release the thousands of Pakistanis imprisoned in recent days, restore freedom of the press, relinquish his military position and proceed with democratic reforms,said Rep. Jane Harman,...
- David Letterman in Washington Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't know why, after the job Jay has done for them, why they would relinquish that,Letterman said, adding, "I have to believe he was not happy about it."
- John McCain in guardian.co.uk
When that is accomplished,McCain said, "government will relinquish its interest in these private companies. We're going to get the government out of the business of bailouts and equity stakes and back in the business of responsible...