overstate : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v to enlarge beyond bounds or the truth
- Historically, exit polls have tended to overstate the Democratic vote.
- There is no way to overstate how radical Gibson's first and best novel was when it first appeared.
- But even the mistiest of such geezers is likely to be right about the rock and soul music of that decade: Who could overstate its distinctive exuberance, its heady inventiveness .
News & Articles
- Nothing routine about collection of data, pols say
Claims that federal data-collection efforts averted plans by terrorists might overstate the value of controversial programs, U.S. Sen. Mark Udall, D-Colo., said.
June 10, 2013 - The Daily Sentinel
- McCain Disgusted With Military on Sexual Assault
Former Navy Capt. and prisoner of war Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., told a panel of uniformed military leaders on Tuesday that he could not "overstate" his "disgust and disappointment" over the continued problems regarding sexual assault in the armed services.
June 5, 2013 - CQ Politics
- 35 years of ‘Space Invaders’
Thirty-five years ago today (give or take)*, arcade game manufacturer Taito released a title based around the premise of defending the earth from aliens that itself ironically nearly took over the world: Space Invaders. It’s impossible to overstate the importance of ‘Space Invaders.’ From a purely financial standpoint, it sold more than 350,000 units worldwide... Read More
June 5, 2013 - The Indianapolis Star
- Stefan Rahmstorf in USA Today
Rahmstorf, a physics and oceanography professor at Potsdam University in Germany, says, "In a way, it is one of the strengths of the IPCC to be very conservative and cautious and not overstate any climate change risk."
- Ted Nolan in SportingNews.com
Chris is just one of those old school guys who gave our team a little bit of everything last season,Islanders head coach Ted Nolan said in a statement. "We can't overstate Si's leadership. He'll have a big role with our team, just like...
- Lenny Kravitz in FOXNews
I cannot really overstate the seriousness of this crime,Kravitz said.