muffled : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v conceal or hide
- v deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
- s being or made softer or less loud or clear
the muffled noises of the street
- s wrapped up especially for protection or secrecy
children muffled almost to the eyebrows
- In the stillness, there was only a muffled tramp! tramp! tramp! as the worn-out prisoners moved north, or a sudden, shuddering thump as an ammunition dump went off, or a dull .
- The 98 displays, each by a different designer, ranged in effect from the muffled look of the '90s to the bare look of tiger-skin days.
- Instead of the planned procession with muffled drums, a casket-bearing caisson and the symbolic riderless horse, a caravan of 21 cars and a hearse briskly transferred the body .
News & Articles
- Closing Print 6.20.2013
Wham Bam Thank You...The S&P has finally given up... It has been an absolute washout with one big sell program after another kicking in all day. Though the roar of the pit was muffled compared to the ...
June 20, 2013 - MrTopStep.com via Yahoo! Finance
- Exploring Big Island, where three rivers meet
The Big Island Circumnavigation Expedition took to a seldom-seen wilderness and exposed schoolchildren to the beauty and power of nature. by Chris Staudinger, Mark Peoples and John Ruskey Several thousand white-beaked coots covered the water when we arrived at the landing at the silky cusp of nightfall. When we shoved off, they did too, with wings over the water that sounded like muffled ...
June 19, 2013 - Arkansas Times
- O'BRIEN: Bumbling beauty queens don't represent all contestants - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois & Missouri News, Sports
On the list of things to watch Sunday night, "The Miss USA Pageant" was way down the list. With the NBA Finals and College World Series on, who needed beauty queens? Watching LeBron James cry about non-calls and listening to the muffled "ping" of aluminum bats trumped the evening gown competition.
June 18, 2013 - Quincy Herald-Whig
- Tina Brown in Milford Daily News
That girl of 20 didn't know what all she was in for until after she had marched down that aisle, she writes; couldn't imagine ahead of time what Brown calls "the oldness, the coldness, the deadness of royal life, its muffled misogyny, its whispering...
- Nicolas Sarkozy in Washington Post
This muffled threat felt by so many people in our old European nations, rightly or wrongly, weighs on their identity,Sarkozy added. "We must all speak about this together, out of fear that, if it is kept hidden, this sentiment could end up...
- Brian Dawkins in Philadelphia Daily News
For me? No. Somebody has their hand over the clock, so it's muffled big-time for me,Dawkins said.