- n a white fatty substance that forms a medullary sheath around the axis cylinder of some nerve fibers
- n lower or hindmost part of the brain; continuous with spinal cord; (`bulb' is an old term for medulla oblongata)
the medulla oblongata is the most vital part of the brain because it contains centers controlling breathing and heart functioning
- n the inner part of an organ or structure in plant or animal
- Medulla and cortex have different embryonic origins.
- In normal air, breathing is controlled by the respiratory centre in the medulla, which is part of the brain.
- When circulation to the cortex is impeded, the blood bypasses the cortex and flows through bigger blood vessels in the kidney's medulla or interior (see cut).
- Shaquille O'Neal in SportingNews.com
I'm on a mission. And I know the older I get, I may lose a step or two, but it's all up in the medulla oblongata,O'Neal said, using the medical term for the base of one's brain. "I've got a lot up there. I've got a lot of knowledge .........
- Charles Tillman in ESPN
Well, it obviously hurt,Tillman said. "What else happened? I'm trying to remember, everything is so foggy. Really, it was just a hard hit to the back of my Medulla oblongata, the back of the head, that big bump. I saw like a bright flash,...
- Devin Harris in Dallas Morning News
I got hit in the medulla oblongata,Harris said with a laugh. "Nah, I got a pretty good shot in the back of the head and kind of lost feeling on the right side for a little bit, but it came back when I was sleeping last night."