- n a modified bud consisting of a thickened globular underground stem serving as a reproductive structure
- n electric lamp consisting of a transparent or translucent glass housing containing a wire filament (usually tungsten) that emits light when heated by electricity
- n a rounded part of a cylindrical instrument (usually at one end)
the bulb of a syringe
- n anything with a round shape resembling a teardrop
- n lower or hindmost part of the brain; continuous with spinal cord; (`bulb' is an old term for medulla oblongata)
- n a rounded dilation or expansion in a canal or vessel or organ
- Most labels don't say "CFL" (GE calls its bulbs Energy Savers), and in some cases the telltale twist is enclosed in frosted glass.
- Most of us are still using much the same style bulb Edison invented.
- They have lit the world since 1879, but in many countries, it's going to be lights out for the humble incandescent bulb.
News & Articles
- New generation of LED bulbs a bright idea for your home
In its first hundred years, the light bulb didn’t change that much. But now, you might not even recognize what some bulbs look like. The latest generation of bulb is the LED, or light-emitting diode. These new bulbs are dimmable, use about 80% less electricity than incandescent bulbs, and last 25 years. These are different than earlier CFL (compact fluorescent) bulbs in that they don’t contain ...
June 22, 2013 - KING5 Seattle
- A Brighter Future: Batteries Plus(R) Rebrands With "Bulbs"
HARTLAND, Wis. -- Batteries Plus(R), the nation's largest and fastest growing battery and light bulb franchise, is marking its 25th anniversary this year with the announcement of branding new and existing ...
June 21, 2013 - GlobeNewswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Games for the weekend: Stay Alight
At a place where the grotesque and creepy meet raw steampunk theatrics, Mr. Bulb, the hero of the game, must use his energy to destroy the enemy.
June 21, 2013 - GigaOM
- David Parker in Stuff.co.nz
The traditional light bulb is very old technology - and very inefficient. Only five percent of the energy it uses generates light - the rest is wasted as heat,Energy minister David Parker said. "It is intended that from late next year,...
- Barack Obama in FOXNews
Obama said it wasn't a "light bulb moment" that led to the very unconventional idea of putting his one-time foe as his top diplomat.
- Al Gore in International Herald Tribune
A lot of them you probably know already: Changing a light bulb,said Gore. "All these individual acts are important. They all help, but they won't solve the problem by themselves unless we have changes in the laws and in treaties."