- s effusively or insincerely emotional
maudlin expressions of sympathy
- It was a depressing, maudlin movie yet it had struck a chord with the mothers and grandmothers alike.
- Trevor expressed a maudlin concern for the welfare of starving children, often crying over their plight.
- Quick-witted but never showy, mocking but never cruel, warm but never maudlin, Barker may have let his hair go white (with the network's approval), but he never aged.
News & Articles
- The Man of Steel's Real Battle Is Against Marvel for the Future of Superhero Films
Superman has one hell of a battle against General Zod in Man of Steel, which makes its maudlin way into theaters Friday. The two Kryptonians wrestle while zipping through the air, glass shattering as they go. Ultimately—spoiler alert—Superman wins. But as an agent of Warner Bros. and DC Comics, he actually has a bigger army to face: Marvel.
June 13, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire via Yahoo! News
- Janet Maslin in International Herald Tribune
Reviewing the second book for The New York Times, Janet Maslin called it a "lean, incisive" work that was "smart, serious, heartfelt and confessional without being maudlin."
- Alan Jones in Sydney Morning Herald
It was very sad to lose his friend but "Stan wouldn't want us to get too maudlin about it", Jones said.
- Joe Biden in CBS News
Following the memorial service of Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones, who died in August of an aneurysm, Biden said, "I know it sounds corny, it almost sounds maudlin, but you know, here she was one day walking around, just like I was the next day."...