- n the quality of having or showing the tenderness and warmth and affection of or befitting a mother
- n motherly care; behavior characteristic of a mother; the practice of acting as a mother does toward her children
- The faint air of maternalism is heightened by her habit of referring to "my people," "my Cabinet," and even, most disconcertingly, "my generals.
- Such benevolent maternalism allowed her to run an open shop for years.
- Add to this the curdled maternalism of the old invalid and the nearly unreachable sustenance of that outsize glass of milk, and Black Moon seems like a long case study.