- n the quality of having or showing the tenderness and warmth and affection of or befitting a mother
- n motherly care; behavior characteristic of a mother; the practice of acting as a mother does toward her children
- Mother Irumu suckles her baby three times a day with undeviated maternalism, but refuses if humans are near.
- Perhaps unintentionally, the book gives a portrait of merciless maternalism.
- The faint air of maternalism is heightened by her habit of referring to "my people," "my Cabinet," and even, most disconcertingly, "my generals.