mantle : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the cloak as a symbol of authority
place the mantle of authority on younger shoulders
- n United States baseball player (1931-1997)
- n the layer of the earth between the crust and the core
- n anything that covers
- n (zoology) a protective layer of epidermis in mollusks or brachiopods that secretes a substance forming the shell
- n shelf that projects from wall above fireplace
- n hanging cloth used as a blind (especially for a window)
- n a sleeveless garment like a cloak but shorter
- v spread over a surface, like a mantle
- v cover like a mantle
The ivy mantles the building
- The behavior of the mantle seems to be determined by the core.
- These minor differences aside, Tyson, 47, is the undisputed inheritor of his late predecessor's mantle as the great explainer of all things cosmic.
- The former Senator says his showing in Iowa is proof he is the real change candidate, but he may have trouble taking that mantle from Obama.
News & Articles
- Mantle to Wed Nold
Dan and Rose Mantle, Washington, announce the engagement of their daughter, Kate Marie Mantle, Kansas City, to Nathan Dean Nold, Munster, Ind., son of Kim Turner, Platte City, and Jeff Nold, Savannah.
June 12, 2013 - The Missourian
- Wounded warrior gets back life saving armor
A local veteran has something very special to add to the mantle in his home. A piece of body armor that saved his life during an IED attack in Iraq in 2007, day he calls his "Alive Day".
June 12, 2013 - First Coast News
- Now that Steve Jobs is dead, Kanye West is the Steve Jobs of culture, says Kanye West
If there’s one thing hip hop has taught us, it’s that sometimes your heroes have to die before you can assume the mantle of their greatness. “I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar ...
June 12, 2013 - Quartz via Yahoo! Finance
- John McCain in Reuters
I will not shirk the mantle of leadership that the United States bears. I will not permit eight long years to pass without serious action on serious challenges,McCain said.
- John Howard in Reuters Canada
This is a great democracy and I want to wish Mr. Rudd well. He assumes the mantle of the 26th prime minister of Australia,Howard said. "We bequeath to him a nation that is stronger and prouder and more prosperous than it was 11 and a half...
- Joseph Lowery in Guardian Unlimited
Yolanda was lovely. She wore the mantle of princess, and she wore it with dignity and charm,Lowery said. "She was a warm and gentle person and was thoroughly committed to the movement and found her own means of expressing that commitment...