- n a starch made by leaching and drying the root of the cassava plant; the source of tapioca; a staple food in the tropics
- n cassava root eaten as a staple food after drying and leaching; source of tapioca
- n cassava with long tuberous edible roots and soft brittle stems; used especially to make cassiri (an intoxicating drink) and tapioca
- Each morning the Yawalapiti women prepared manioc cakes and beverage and the entire tribe turned their faces to the south praying that the return would be soon.
- Mixed into this loamish soil was evidence of prehistoric man: charcoal, occasional stone axheads made from meteorites, and a lump of manioc bread preserved in natural tree gum.
- They cleared four acres of farmland and sowed their first crop: manioc, beans, peanuts, pineapples and sweet potatoes.