- n a lay judge or civil authority who administers the law (especially one who conducts a court dealing with minor offenses)
- Who is the father of a child conceived by artificial insemination? The man whose semen was used, decided a tribunal of Italian magistrates last week.
- But the magistrates are now treating the sale as possible share manipulation, a criminal offense.
- The front line of Philadelphia justice is manned by 28 magistrates, who handle traffic violators, hear civil cases involving $100 or less, summarily try minor criminals, and make .
News & Articles
- Former Warren County magistrate arrested
A former Warren County magistrate was arrested Saturday following a crash involving a motorcycle near his residence.
June 18, 2013 - Bowling Green Daily News
- John England III, first African American to serve as a federal magistrate in north Alabama, takes office
England, 43, who formerly was second in command at the U.S. Attorney's Office, was named in April to an 8-year appointment as a U.S. Magistrate Judge for the northern district of Alabama. It is his first job as a judge. He replaces long-time U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert Armstrong, who retired Monday.
June 18, 2013 - Birmingham News
- Magistrate finds probable cause in shooting
Richard Jamahl Saunders, 22, appears with his lawyer David White before Mercer County Magistrate Susan Honaker for his preliminary hearing Friday. Saunders was arrested June 4 and charged with two counts of attempted murder, eight counts of wanton endangerment, and one count of malicious assault.
June 15, 2013 - Bluefield Daily Telegraph
- Shirin Ebadi in International Herald Tribune
Unfortunately, like the previous time on Monday, not only did they refuse to accept my legal representation, they didn't even allow me to go inside the building to see the investigating magistrate,Ebadi said in a statement Thursday, a copy of...
- Daniel Petrocelli in International Herald Tribune
We suggested to the magistrate that having a settlement conference at this time would not be meaningful,said attorney Daniel Petrocelli, who is representing Disney in the dispute. "There's really nothing to settle."