- n someone who moves forward suddenly (as in fencing)
- n a person with pulmonary tuberculosis
- Married to a rich husband in the East, with two children, she left them to come out to the desert to nurse her "lunger" lover, ten years younger than herself.
- His father was a "lunger," and ex-professor from the East; his mother a vestal virgin dedicated to keeping the home fires burning.
- A gay bachelor and deadpan needler, Cunningham still plays baseball as though he were fitting pipes: at the plate he is a lunger, and in the field he will play a ball off his .