lieutenant : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a commissioned military officer
- n an officer in a police force
- n an assistant with power to act when his superior is absent
- n an officer holding a commissioned rank in the United States Navy or the United States Coast Guard; below lieutenant commander and above lieutenant junior grade
- LES LOVELL, El Dorado County police lieutenant, referring to a woman believed to be the 11-year-old girl who was kidnapped in South Lake Tahoe, Calif.
- He was a lieutenant commander when the fleet sallied out to take the Gilberts last month.
- This was a man who, as a lieutenant in the Army, risked a court-martial by refusing to sit in the back of a military bus.
News & Articles
- Burkhalter, Curry to run for lieutenant governor
Associated Press This file photo taken Jan. 14, 2011, shows John Burkhalter in Little Rock. On Tuesday, Burkhalter announced he will seek the Democratic nomination for Arkansas lieutenant governor in 2014.
June 16, 2013 - Texarkana Gazette
- David Brown, former lieutenant governor of Chickasaw Nation dies
David Brown, Tishomingo resident and former lieutenant governor of the Chickasaw Nation, died late Thursday, June 6, at the age of 70.
June 14, 2013 - Ada Evening News
- Virginia Lieutenant Governor Candidate E.W. Jackson Says Yoga Does Not Lead to Satanism
Virginia Republican nominee for lieutenant governor E.W. Jackson clarified on Wednesday that he does not believe yoga leads to Satanism, after excerpts from his 2008 book were released suggesting otherwise. During the press conference in Manassas, Virginia, Jackson elaborated on his writings, hoping to rationalize the statements he believed had been distorted. "I do not believe that yoga leads ...
June 13, 2013 - Opposing Views
- Joseph Bruno in FOXNews
We are going to partner with the lieutenant governor when he becomes governor,said Bruno. "David has always been very open with me, very forthright ...... I look forward to a positive, productive relationship."
- Joanna Lumley in ITN
Lumley said before the hearing: "My own father served with the Gurkhas for 30 years. Indeed, he saw action as a Chindit in Burma with Victoria Cross winner Honorary Lieutenant Tul Bahadur Pun. Like so many people in Britain I am ashamed at how...
- Robert Gates in ExecutiveGov
I came to these leadership decisions after a thorough process that considered several outstanding candidates,Gates said. "I am convinced that General Amos and Lieutenant General Dunford are the right team to lead the US Marine Corps at...