- n a characteristic state or mode of living
- n the experience of being alive; the course of human events and activities
he could no longer cope with the complexities of life
- n the course of existence of an individual; the actions and events that occur in living
he hoped for a new life in Australia
he wanted to live his own life without interference from others
- n the condition of living or the state of being alive
while there's life there's hope
life depends on many chemical and physical processes
- n the period during which something is functional (as between birth and death)
the battery had a short life
he lived a long and happy life
- n the period between birth and the present time
I have known him all his life
- n the period from the present until death
he appointed himself emperor for life
- n a living person
his heroism saved a life
- n animation and energy in action or expression
it was a heavy play and the actors tried in vain to give life to it
- n living things collectively
the oceans are teeming with life
- n the organic phenomenon that distinguishes living organisms from nonliving ones
there is no life on the moon
- n an account of the series of events making up a person's life
- n a motive for living
pottery was his life
- n a prison term lasting as long as the prisoner lives
he got life for killing the guard
- Madonna's brother Christopher Ciccone dishes on life with his famous sister in a book that says as much about their strained, strange relationship as it does about the Material .
- I live a pretty conservative life, so I probably really haven't done anything crazy.
- PTI's annual Making of America issue presents a look at the life of Founding Father Thomas Jefferson.
- Paul Goydos in Seattle Times
Standing over that last putt, I was probably as nervous as I've ever been over a putt in my life,he said. "The putt would have gone in a thimble."
- Michelle Obama in International Herald Tribune
Obama's defense of his wife came after the Tennessee Republican Party posted an online video that repeatedly showed Michelle Obama saying, in reference to her husband's political success, "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my...
- Oprah Winfrey in ABC News
I love this show, this show has been my life, and I love it enough to know when it's time to say goodbye,Winfrey told her studio audience during Friday's live edition of "Oprah." "Twenty-five years feels right in my bones and it feels...