- n the act of imposing something (as a tax or an embargo)
- n an act causing pain or damage
- n something or someone that causes trouble; a source of unhappiness
he's not a friend, he's an infliction
- This is to be brought home so vividly by the nature of the infliction of punishment that he will feel an inhibition against any attempt to commit new crimes.
- A 2007 study in the International Review of the Red Cross found that "the acute suffering produced during the immediate infliction of the submarino is superseded by the often .
- The list includes acts such as rape, murder and intentional infliction of bodily harm.
News & Articles
- Surfer shot at during Dorner hunt files lawsuit
LOS ANGELES — A Southern California surfer who was shot at by Torrance police during the manhunt for rogue ex-cop Christopher Dorner has filed a lawsuit against the Los Angeles suburb and its police department. The suit was filed Monday in federal court by David Perdue and his wife, Lizzette. Allegations include excessive force, false arrest, battery, intentional infliction of emotion distress ...
June 18, 2013 - Boston Herald
- Giddings Family Files Lawsuit, Hope To Find Daughter's Remains
MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) -- The parents of Mercer Law graduate Lauren Giddings filed a wrongful death lawsuit against their daughter's accused killer, Stephen McDaniel on Monday. In a 23 page suit, William and Karen Giddings filed a complaint for damages for wrongful death, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and unlawful interference with right of burial. In the court filings ...
June 18, 2013 - 41 NBC Macon
- Pinal County Sheriff's Office aide sues county
FLORENCE, Ariz. (AP) -- A Pinal County Sheriff's Office aide has filed a defamation lawsuit against outgoing County Manager Fritz Behring and Pinal County. The Casa Grande Dispatch reports that Tim Gaffney, director of administration for the Pinal County Sheriff's Office, filed the lawsuit last month also citing intentional injury and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Gaffney and the ...
June 15, 2013 - KTVK 3TV Phoenix
- Antonin Scalia in Reuters
It would be absurd to say you couldn't do that. And once you acknowledge that, we're into a different gameScalia said. "How close does the threat have to be? And how severe can the infliction of pain be?"
- Bertrand Russell in New York Times
Bertrand Russell wrote, "The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists - that is why they invented hell."
- Justice Potter Stewart in River Cities Reader
Justice Potter Stewart wrote that the "Eighth and Fourteenth Amendments cannot tolerate the infliction of a sentence of death under legal systems that permit this unique penalty to be so wantonly and so freakishly imposed."