impasse : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a situation in which no progress can be made or no advancement is possible
reached an impasse on the negotiations
- n a street with only one way in or out
- A grinding and unpopular war in Iraq, a growing insurgency in Afghanistan, an impasse over Iran's nuclear ambitions, a brewing war between Israel and the Palestinians--the litany .
- Hershey and Nestl have had discussions but faced an impasse over who would get the gum business, according to someone familiar with the situation.
- Other experts note there is still a long way to go toward a resolution of the impasse.
News & Articles
- No sign of relief from Oregon budget impasse
No sign of relief from Oregon budget impasse Associated Press Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 9:10 pm, Tuesday, June 11, 2013 Three weeks before a deadline for lawmakers to approve a two-year spending plan, Republicans are still demanding tougher cuts in pensions for retired government ...
June 12, 2013 - San Francisco Chronicle
- Jurors at impasse in Chad Holley beating case
Jurors at impasse in Chad Holley beating case Houston Chronicle Copyright 2013 Houston Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 7:25 pm, Tuesday, June 11, 2013 Jurors weighing the fate of a former Houston police officer charged in the videotaped beating of teenager Chad Holley said they were at an impasse Tuesday after ...
June 11, 2013 - Houston Chronicle
- City, Police Union May Be at DOJ Impasse Over 48-hour Grace Period for Cops Involved in Shootings
Negotiations between the city and its police union over federally-mandated reforms are at an impasse , but Portland Police Chief Mike Reese says he’s going ahead with as many changes as he can in the meantime. The department released an 80-point “ Action Item Matrix ” today, and the document hints at the one issue that may have the city and the Portland Police Association at loggerheads: the 48 ...
June 11, 2013 - Willamette Week