- n troops belonging to the enemy's military forces
the platoon ran into a pack of hostiles
- a characterized by enmity or ill will
a hostile nation
a hostile remark
- a not belonging to your own country's forces or those of an ally
hostile naval and air forces
- s impossible to bring into friendly accord
- s very unfavorable to life or growth
a hostile climate
- s unsolicited and resisted by the management of the target company ( used of attempts to buy or take control of a business)
hostile tender offer
- He went so far as to quote a 14th century Byzantine emperors hostile view of Islam's founder.
- This may lead to additional hostile acts down the road.
- Iran is implacably hostile to the Taliban over that movement's extremist theology and over its killing of Afghan Shiite Muslims.
News & Articles
- 2013 U.S. Open: Sergio Garcia’s really, really sorry but he still doesn’t care for Tiger Woods
“He’s No. 1 in the world for some reasons,” Garcia continued, at an obvious loss for how to respond to whether his hostile feelings for Woods had changed over the ensuing weeks since the Spaniard offered to serve his opponent fried chicken should the two dine together between Open rounds.
June 12, 2013 - Philly.com
- Violence up five percent worldwide since 2008: Report
The world's grown more hostile in recent years, according to the Global Peace Index.
June 12, 2013 - GlobalPost
- Royalty pursuing hostile bid for Elan, fights Irish panel ruling
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Royalty Pharma, pursuing a hostile $8 billion takeover of Irish drugmaker Elan Corp Plc, moved on Tuesday to make sure it is not blocked by a potential $200 million share buyback and drug spinoff at the target company. Elan, which has been resisting the advances of the U.S. investment firm for more than three months, rejected a sweetened takeover offer on Monday and said for ...
June 11, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Condoleezza Rice in Omaha World-Herald (registration)
Grim-faced, Rice said the US will not turn its back on civilians in Gaza and that Hamas "is a hostile entity to the United States as well."
- Alexander Litvinenko in USA Today
You may succeed in silencing me but that silence comes at a price. You have shown yourself to be as barbaric and ruthless as your most hostile critics have claimed,Litvinenko said in the statement. "You may succeed in silencing one man but...
- Barack Obama in New York Times
Either way,Mr. Obama said, the United States is "going to be dealing with an Iranian regime that has historically been hostile to the United States, that has caused some problems in the neighborhood and is pursuing nuclear weapons."