divided : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v separate into parts or portions
- v perform a division
- v act as a barrier between; stand between
- v come apart
- v make a division or separation
- v force, take, or pull apart
- a separated into parts or pieces
opinions are divided
- s having a median strip or island between lanes of traffic moving in opposite directions
a divided highway
- s distributed in portions (often equal) on the basis of a plan or purpose
- Divided Anglicans We are not divided, All one body we .
- In a land replete with martyrs and miscreants, Iraqis are divided over which label applies to Muntazer al-Zaidi.
- Against the Wall A still-divided Germany heads to the polls, with Angela Merkel seeking to topple Chancellor Gerhard Schrder.
News & Articles
- Supreme Court makes it harder to sue businesses for retaliation and discrimination
Divided court makes it harder to blame businesses for workplace sexism, racism and retaliation; Ginsburg assails rulings
June 24, 2013 - CBS News
- Court makes it harder to sue businesses
A sharply divided Supreme Court on Monday decided to make it harder for Americans to sue businesses for retaliation and discrimination, leading a justice to call for Congress to overturn the court's actions. ...
June 24, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Justices narrow workers' ability to press bias cases
By Jonathan Stempel and Lawrence Hurley (Reuters) - A sharply divided U.S. Supreme Court on Monday made it harder for workers to sue their employers over alleged harassment and retaliation in the workplace. In two identical 5-4 votes, the court's conservative majority ruled against a black Ball State University catering assistant who claimed she was harassed on the basis of race, and a ...
June 24, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Barack Obama in Bloomberg
We can build a more hopeful America,Obama, 45, told supporters today in Springfield, Illinois. "And that is why, in the shadow of the Old State Capitol, where Lincoln once called on a divided house to stand together, where common hopes and...
- President Roh in FOXNews
This line is a wall that has divided the nation for a half-century. Our people have suffered from too many hardships and development has been held up due to this wall,Roh said. "This line will be gradually erased and the wall will fall. I...
- President Bush in Reuters
We are not the first to come here with government divided and uncertainty in the air,Bush said. "Like many before us, we can work through our differences, and achieve big things for the American people."