- n extending the legs at right angles to the trunk (one in front and the other in back)
- n a bottle containing half the usual amount
- n a promised or claimed share of loot or money
he demanded his split before they disbanded
- n a lengthwise crack in wood
he inserted the wedge into a split in the log
- n an opening made forcibly as by pulling apart
- n an old Croatian city on the Adriatic Sea
- n a dessert of sliced fruit and ice cream covered with whipped cream and cherries and nuts
- n (tenpin bowling) a divided formation of pins left standing after the first bowl
he was winning until he got a split in the tenth frame
- n an increase in the number of outstanding shares of a corporation without changing the shareholders' equity
they announced a two-for-one split of the common stock
- n the act of rending or ripping or splitting something
- n division of a group into opposing factions
- v separate into parts or portions
- v separate or cut with a tool, such as a sharp instrument
- v discontinue an association or relation; go different ways
My friend and I split up
- v go one's own way; move apart
- v come open suddenly and violently, as if from internal pressure
- s having been divided; having the unity destroyed
a split group
- s (especially of wood) cut or ripped longitudinally with the grain
we bought split logs for the fireplace
- Lesley Hazleton, author of After the Prophet, talks to PTI about the origins and importance of the split between Sunni and Shi'ite Muslims.
- Sweden's Communist Party set up business by splitting away from the Social Democrats in 1919 and never got over its splintering ways.
- Corporations have many ways to demonstrate strength, from capital expansion to dividend increases, but the stock split is becoming one of the most popular.
News & Articles
- Split Shawnee Co. Commission approves elections conference
An out-of-state conference split the Shawnee County Commission on Thursday, revealing a few high-ticket expenses from the elections department set for next year.
June 13, 2013 - The Topeka Capital-Journal
- Bobcats split with Marion
Marion 2, Benton 0 Benton Community split in home baseball doubleheader with Marion, Monday, June 10, at Van Horne. They lost the first game. Marion’s Levi Lochner threw a no-hitter, striking out eight and walking six. Losing pitcher Mitch Moser threw a three-hitter, allowing two earned runs, walking two and striking out eight. Team 1 [...]
June 13, 2013 - Star Press Union
- Poll: Americans split on how to address military sex assaults
New poll finds split over whether military law should be changed to deal with growing problem.
June 12, 2013 - Washington Post