- v separate or cut with a tool, such as a sharp instrument
- v make by cutting into
- v come or be in close contact with; stick or hold together and resist separation
- s (used of hooves) split, divided
- Moreover, its been edging its way into yuppier climes for a year or so now, click-clacking its cloven hooves up and down the coasts and to places like Houston and Des Moines.
- In the July 19 incident, four pigs not being used in foot and mouth research showed symptoms and were found to be infected by the virus, which spreads rapidly in cloven-hoofed .
- It also affects sheep, goats, deer, and other cloven-hooved ruminants.
News & Articles
- USDA'S novel cell line identifies all FMD virus serotypes
WASHINGTON—U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) scientists have developed a new cell line that rapidly and accurately detects foot-and-mouth disease virus (FMDV), which causes a highly contagious and economically devastating disease in cattle and other cloven-hoofed animals.
July 1, 2013 - Dairy Herd
- Conrad Black in Toronto Star
I chose (to write about) Nixon because it was time to re-integrate him into American history and stop pretending that he was a freak with cloven feet and horns who just happened to be elected to national office four times,Black said in a...
- Alan Simpson in USA Today
That is a beautiful family,Simpson said. "Forget the politics. We know how Dick is being demonized. He has the red tail sticking out of him and horns and cloven hooves. ......But as a man and a family, he is a wonder."
- Bret Harte in Mathaba.Net
Bret Harte wrote in 1860 that little children and old women were mercilessly stabbed and their skulls crushed by axes: "Old women:lay weltering in blood, their brains dashed out:while infants:with their faces cloven with hatchets and their bodies...