- n a cry or shout of approval
- n the quality of being cheerful and dispelling gloom
flowers added a note of cheerfulness to the drab room
- v give encouragement to
- v show approval or good wishes by shouting
everybody cheered the birthday boy
- v cause (somebody) to feel happier or more cheerful
She tried to cheer up the disappointed child when he failed to win the spelling bee
- v become cheerful
- v spur on or encourage especially by cheers and shouts
The crowd cheered the demonstrating strikers
- Cheerleading got so little attention at her school that she was forced to practice in the hall.
- Scrooge is a high-budget holiday spectacular, a musical extracted from Dickens' A Christmas Carol that turns out to be a curdled cup of holiday cheer.
- High schools crack down on suggestive cheerleading moves .
News & Articles
- Hot Cheer All-Stars team finishes in fourth at worlds
By Doug Gulasy, Norwin Star The Hot Cheer All-Stars’ third trip to the Cheerleading Worlds was the charm. The team, comprised primarily of students from the Norwin School District, took ...
June 12, 2013 - The Mckeesport Daily News
- Charger football/cheer registrations to begin next month
Douglas Youth Football and Cheer registration will begin on June 15, 2013 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Douglas Noon’s Lion Club located at 1501 E. 9th St.
June 12, 2013 - Douglas Dispatch
- Sussex CHEER unveils new passenger bus
CHEER Inc., Sussex County Senior Services, now has a vehicle to aid its efforts. The newly acquired 24-passenger bus was the result of federal money administered by the state via the 5310 program. In contrast to other government programs, the agencies apply for the vehicles they require; not the funding needed to purchase them. CHEER Executive Director Arlene S. Littleton said the new bus will ...
June 10, 2013 - Cape Gazette
- Tiger Wood in The Associated Press
It's been a while,Woods said. "I hadn't played good enough for anyone to cheer anything. So it was nice to actually put it together on the back nine and put myself right back in the championship."
- Avi Arad in The Associated Press
In the Spider-Man tradition, we were looking for a smart, sensitive, and cool new Peter Parker who can inspire us and make us laugh, cry, and cheer,said Avi Arad, one of the producers on the "Spider-Man" franchise. "We believe we have...
- Brett Favre in Los Angeles Times
Packer fans cheer for Packers first, I know that,Favre said. "I hope that everyone watching in the stadium tonight said, 'You know, I sure hate that that joker's on the other side. But he does play the way he's always played in his...