- n the act of exploding or bursting
the burst of an atom bomb creates enormous radiation aloft
- n rapid simultaneous discharge of firearms
- n a sudden flurry of activity (often for no obvious reason)
a burst of applause
- n a sudden intense happening
an outburst of heavy rain
a burst of lightning
- v come open suddenly and violently, as if from internal pressure
The bubble burst
- v force out or release suddenly and often violently something pent up
- v burst outward, usually with noise
- v move suddenly, energetically, or violently
He burst out of the house into the cool night
- v be in a state of movement or action
- v emerge suddenly
The sun burst into view
- v cause to burst
- v break open or apart suddenly and forcefully
The dam burst
- Well, last week one bubble burst.
- Almost overnight last week a little, suppressed idea burst upon the nation as a full-fledged legislative movement.
- The unauthorized tell-alls burst with miscarriages, abortions, rest cures and frenzied press conferences announcing her desire to be left alone.
News & Articles
- Electrical burns may burst surgical robot's bubble
The da Vinci surgical robot is so precise, promotional videos show it carefully peeling a grape.It’s so popular that most so-called “keyhole” hysterectomies are done using the machine, and it’s used in four out of five operations to remove the prostate, according to the non-profit ECRI Institute.But a series of lawsuits threaten to burst da Vinci’s high-flying bubble, claiming that a very low ...
June 15, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Bashir And Guests Burst Into Chorus Of Laughter At Conservative ‘Faith & Freedom Coalition’ Speakers
After playing a series of clips of speakers from this week’s Faith & Freedom Coalition conference, the guests of MSNBC’s Martin Bashir burst into a chorus of laughter. The panel reacted as such after listening to soundbites from speakers like former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush , former Rep. Allen West (R-FL), and conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly .
June 14, 2013 - Mediaite
- ‘Burst Your Thirst’ with Live Healthy Iowa challenge
AMES — Water is a vital component of our bodies, necessary to flush out toxins, carry nutrients and maintain soft, clear skin. Live Healthy Iowa’s 4th annual “Burst Your Thirst” Challenge motivates Iowans to team up with friends, family or co-workers to hydrate for a healthy body and an active summer.
June 13, 2013 - Newton Daily News
- Sir Alex Ferguson in Times Online
I wished he'd burst it under Riley as it might have woken him up,Ferguson said. "It was a competitive game, but I did not think there was one bad tackle in it. The game is being screened worldwide, everyone is watching it, and that goes...
- Charles Steger in Guardian Unlimited
Please know that moving on - moving on is not the same as forgetting,Steger said. "We shall not forget. Yet, one senseless burst of violence - as horrible and hurtful as it is - will not turn us from our essence."
- Shaun Ellis in The Star-Ledger - NJ.com
The skin would burst back open,Ellis said. "So I have to suck it up, cast it up again and just go out there and play."