- n the act of burning something
the burning of leaves was prohibited by a town ordinance
- n pain that feels hot as if it were on fire
- n a process in which a substance reacts with oxygen to give heat and light
- n execution by electricity
- n execution by fire
- n a form of torture in which cigarettes or cigars or other hot implements are used to burn the victim's skin
- v destroy by fire
- v shine intensely, as if with heat
The candles were burning
- v undergo combustion
- v cause a sharp or stinging pain or discomfort
- v cause to burn or combust
- v feel strong emotion, especially anger or passion
She was burning with anger
He was burning to try out his new skies
- v cause to undergo combustion
- v burn at the stake
- v spend (significant amounts of money)
- v feel hot or painful
My eyes are burning
- v burn, sear, or freeze (tissue) using a hot iron or electric current or a caustic agent
- v get a sunburn by overexposure to the sun
- v create by duplicating data
- v use up (energy)
- v burn with heat, fire, or radiation
- s of immediate import
burning issues of the day
- Many of the leading manufacturers and importers of wood-burning stoves (prices range from $75 to $1,000 and up) report that they are sold out for months to come.
- Burning a double-layer disc known as DVDR DL is the same as burning a single layer although for the time being, you have to use the included Nero software to do it.
- Burning for conservation--which may involve, for instance, burning less regularly in areas containing fire-sensitive plant species--and burning for hunting can find common ground .
News & Articles
- Flag burning ceremony conducted
Boy Scouts of Troop 330, Memorial Lutheran Church, 3375 U.S. 1 South, participated in a flag burning ceremony on Flag Day, June 14, in association with the Coquina Crossing Veterans Association.
June 23, 2013 - The St. Augustine Record
- Fire burning near Timberon
U.S. Forest Service firefighters on Saturday continue to build containment lines around a one-acre fire burning about six miles east of Timberon.
June 23, 2013 - Alamogordo Daily News
- Sunset man injured inside burning home
Sunset man injured inside burning home by Kimball Bennion The Salt Lake Tribune Published Jun 22, 2013 09:47PM MDT An early morning fire Saturday in a Sunset house caused major burn injuries to a man who firefightersfound unconscious. Sunset Fire Chief Neil Coker said the 63-year-old man was found in the kitchen. “It looked like he may have been trying to get out of the house and got disoriented ...
June 23, 2013 - The Salt Lake Tribune
- Helen Boaden in 940 News
Boaden said police "wrestled him to the ground - the fire was burning through his clothes - and finally put him out with a fire extinguisher."
- Ian Poulter in AFP
It has been an extremely difficult decision to take given my burning desire to represent Europe again in defending the Ryder Cup in the United States,said Poulter, who hit a hole-in-one in April's Masters at Augusta National.
- Jelena Jankovic in CNN International
Today it was so hot, my feet were really burning,said Jankovic, recovering from an illness that caused her to pull out of a Hong Kong tournament this month. "I knew I had to deal with it."