- n a type of folksong that originated among Black Americans at the beginning of the 20th century; has a melancholy sound from repeated use of blue notes
- n a state of depression
he had a bad case of the blues
- n blue color or pigment; resembling the color of the clear sky in the daytime
- n blue clothing
- n any organization or party whose uniforms or badges are blue
- n the sky as viewed during daylight
- n used to whiten laundry or hair or give it a bluish tinge
- n the sodium salt of amobarbital that is used as a barbiturate; used as a sedative and a hypnotic
- n any of numerous small butterflies of the family Lycaenidae
- v turn blue
- Long before Aretha demanded respect, black female vocalists discovered liberation in the blues.
- The blues are the only style of music that are also a state of being.
- If the blues was about squeezing cathartic joy out of the bad times, this new music was about letting the good times roll.
News & Articles
- Blues festival bringing talent back to Bryan-College Station
Nate Dove can talk for hours about the blues.
June 13, 2013 - The Bryan-College Station Eagle
- Blues ring in first season at RiverEdge in Aurora
As the park designed to revitalize downtown Aurora's Fox River waterfront comes to life, the festival that brings major blues artists to town is coming home. RiverEdge Park officially opens at 6 p.m. Friday, June 14, for the Blues on the Fox festival, featuring JJ Grey & Mofro opening for Dr. John. "I think it's a perfect way to kick off what's going to take place," said Jim Jarvis. "It's kind ...
June 12, 2013 - Daily Herald
- Blues and Brews festival returns
Glenn County is about to get a heavy dose of blues. The Community Wish Foundation, which has made it a habit to grant wishes to schools, organizations and other good causes will host its fifth annual Blues and Brews Festival on Saturday. The event...
June 12, 2013 - Colusa County Sun-Herald
- Doug Armstrong in CBC.ca
Jaroslav will be a big help for our organization moving forward,Blues GM Doug Armstrong said in a statement. "He has made a great commitment to the Blues as he enters the prime of his career."
- Jaroslav Halak in TSN
I've been looking forward to playing in St. Louis ever since the trade was announced,Halak said in a statement. "I believe in my abilities and hope to do some good things for the Blues."
- Richard Levin in Chatter Shmatter
Your songs awakened a generation, giving a fresh sound to rock, roll, rhythm and blues,university President Richard Levin told McCartney upon giving him his degree.