- n someone whose employment involves carrying something
- n a messenger who bears or presents
a bearer of good tidings
- n one of the mourners carrying the coffin at a funeral
- n the person who is in possession of a check or note or bond or document of title that is endorsed to him or to whoever holds it
the bond was marked `payable to bearer'
- Pennsylvania's Rick Santorum, chairman of the Senate Republican Conference Committee, is the standard bearer of social conservatives on the Hill, regularly and vocally taking the .
- Typically, bearer bonds pop up years later in the hands of family members, after the institutional memory of the crime has faded.
- Two weeks after Antonio Villaraigosa was elected mayor of Los Angeles in May, he traveled to Washington, where people lined up to acclaim him as the new standard bearer of Latino .
News & Articles
- Is Molycorp Finally Cheap Enough to Buy?
Rare-earth elements have been under pressure for some time, but is the industry's standard-bearer finally worth a look?
June 18, 2013 - The Motley Fool
- Marula -The Leakey Collection To Launch on ShopNBC
Marula – The Leakey Collection, a new standard bearer of high-quality, sustainable and fair trade skincare, will enter the television shopping retail category with a June 17th launch on ShopNBC ( http://www.shopnbc.com ) (PRWeb June 17, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/6/prweb10836850.htm
June 17, 2013 - PRWeb
- Donald's game goes awry
Luke Donald couldn't see where his drive on the third hole landed. He had pulled it near some brush. A voice said, "It hit the standard-bearer," and Donald grimaced.
June 17, 2013 - The Philadelphia Inquirer
- Al Sharpton in TIME
Sharpton said Yolanda King was a "torch bearer for her parents and a committed activist in her own right."
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
I assume that if John McCain thinks that it's an inappropriate ad, that he can get them to pull it down since he's their nominee and standard bearer,Obama told reporters while campaigning in Indiana.
- Stan Van Gundy in SportingNews.com
There's no question they're the standard bearer,Van Gundy said. "Sustained excellence over time is more of an accomplishment than a team that can put it together for one great year. No one else in the East has been able to sustain their...